I had a couple of readers ask me what I carry in my makeup bag or just some basic essentials you might need when you are on the go, so here are MY essentials that I must have:
And yes all of that above fits in here!
1. MAC MSF in “Gold Spill”– This is a great alternative to the Beauty Powder “Drizzlegold” (and less messy too!), I love taking this along with me to perk up my cheeks or highlight certain areas for a ‘natural glow’, especially on mornings when I am in a rush it brightens up my face with a nice warm glow so I look refreshed!
2. Blistex DCT (Daily Conditioning Treatment) Lip Balm– I LOVE this stuff, it really keeps my lips moisturized, soft, and supple on days when I don’t feel like wearing lipstick, and perfect for this weather!
3. Jumbo Eye Pencils and Shadesticks– I like shadesticks and big eye pencils when I am on the go simply because I don’t have to fuss with eyeshadows, worry about them breaking in my bag, or fumbling for brushes. I like the AVON Eye Pencil in “Lightning”, it’s a pearly white with subtle shimmer and I love it because it has multiple uses, it can be used as an all over lid color (apply all over and smudge all over lid with finger), you can dot it on your cheeks as a glowy highlighter, or you can also use it to rim the bottom lashline for a more “opened wide-eyed look”. I like MAC’s Shadestick in “Fresh Cement” because it’s a very safe and neutral/natural color, a gorgeous taupe brown with subtle shimmer, perfect for pulling off any outfit.
4. Travel-Size Perfume– There are days I go to the gym and I no longer smell like a floral fantasy, so I like to have a body spray or a travel size perfume to “freshen” up, especially after work if I have someplace else to go to, it’s nice to spritz some on.
5. Eyeliners– I gotta have my Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner Pencil and Liquid Eyeliner (also Revlon) in “Blackest Black”. As much as I love my Indelible Gel Eyeliner, it’s too much work when I am in a hurry, so I like to have these two holy grail eyeliners with me. I really like Revlon’s Colorstay Eyeliners because they really stay on for me.
6. Lipgloss– I love lipgloss, and I actually have over 10 in my bag as I write this, but this post is about essentials, and so if I had to choose one, it would be a nice soft or neutral pink with subtle shimmer. It’s a safe color and I can’t imagine one outfit color it would NOT go with as it’s very simple and goes with anyone’s skin tone and complexion without making them look too washed out. I like L’Oreal’s Lipgloss in “Mauve”.
7. Physician’s Formula Bronzer– I like this because it can also be used a blush AND a bronzer, and if you are feeling creative enough, I am sure it can be used as an eyeshadow or a little dab on the lips over chapstick for some color.
8. Milani Blush in “Luminous”– I love this blush! It’s one of my favorites. It’s a peachy pink with hints of shimmer and it seriously goes well with a lot of my outfits as well as my skintone. I like how it’s also not too pigmented in terms of looking too blushy, and I have a pretty heavy hand, but this is so nice and sheer yet delivering just the perfect amount on the apples of your cheeks giving me a nice fresh dewy glow!
*This blush has been discontinued, but you can still find it on eBay or on cosmetic retailers online that sell all kinds of makeup.
9. MAC Lipsticks– I have so many MAC Lipsticks it’s hard to pick one to take with me, but I do like to take “Masque” and “Snob”. Masque is the perfect nude/neutral color and goes great when blended with my Sephora 206 lipliner, add some gloss and it’s nice! Snob is a nice baby pink that isn’t too overpowering and nice to just have!
10. Blush Brush– To touch up my cheeks.
11. MAC StudioFinish Concealer NC30– I MUST have this all the time! It’s nice to have concealer around for touch-ups, especially dark circles! But I love also using it to cover up and pimples that popped-up, or as a lip primer before I put on lipstick or lipgloss.
12. 5 gram jar of mineral foundation- For touch-ups of course! Like I said, after the gym, I gotta start fro scratch, so I like to cover up any signs of shine or oily-ness and touch up!
13. Sephora Lip Pencils– I love these because I can use them as eyeliners and to adjust lipstick or lipgloss colors or to of course outline my lips to give a more pouty defined look.
14. Pencil Sharpener– To sharpen my pencils in case they break!
15. Everyday Minerals Lip Color– I like it because its in chapstick form as well as delivering impeccable lipcolor that is sheer and natural. I love both “Siesta” and “Natural”, so whichever I can grab works for me!
16. Travel-sized mascara– In case I need to touch up!
17. Dentek Dental Floss– Just in case you get food stuck in your teeth after lunch! Always nice to have it, at times I use the pointed end to apply glue to false eyelashes!
18. Baby Vaseline– Vaseline in general has MANY, and I mean MANY uses (at least for me!) I love it because it softens my skin such as any dry spots I may have, and makes a great makeup remover! I also apply it all over my eyelids and under my eye at night so that they are soft and it’s easier to apply eye makeup and not make it look “flaky”. Can also be used as a chapstick or eye primer to add more vibrancy.
19. Bobby Pins– I have long hair so at times it can be wild and crazy, so I like to tame these suckers down with a couple of bobby pins. It’s also nice to have to “switch up your look” by pinning a few pieces of hair to the back, or frontal bangs to the side.
20. Pointed and Rounded Q-Tip– I carry Q-tips to clean up any mistakes in the eye area using the pointed tip, and the rounded tip is good for applying makeup.
21. AVON ClearSkin (or any blemish fighting gel)– If you feel a pimple coming on, zap them right away with an acne fighting ingredient, perfect for when you are far from home.
22. Retractable Face Brush– For touching up my mineral foundation.
Other items great to carry:
– nail cutter- makes a great pair of scissors, cuts cuticle, trims nails
– nail file- broke a nail? file it down to a smooth finish!
– clear nailpolish- mend those torn pantyhose or put a coat on your nails for a nice clean professional look!
– no lipstick? mix vaseline or your favorite lip balm with a powdered eyeshadow or blush
***EDIT*** a few girls have also let me know this, but CVS is having a SALE! Buy one get one FREE, and buy one get one half-off on select items such as L’Oreal HIP products, and Maybelline!